Here at Boddingtons we pride ourselves in being electrical safety experts. As such we thought we would share with you a short yet informative guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE.)
What is PPE?
PPE is the equipment that will protect you against health and safety accidents or dangers at work. This can include items such as gloves, safety helmets, gloves, eye protection, high visibility clothing, safety harnesses, and safety footwear. Respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is also included under this category.
The importance of PPE
In your workplace there will be training procedures and guidelines put in place to ensure people are more likely to work both safely and responsibly. However even when these measures are put in place, there are still possible hazards that could exist. These could include:
- Breathing in contaminated air that could cause injuries to your lungs.
- Falling materials that could harm your head or feet.
- Airborne particles or splashing corrosive liquids.
- Corrosive materials coming into contact with your skin.
- Temperature extremes of both cold or heat could cause injuries to your body
In these cases, PPE is considered to reduce these risks, showing the importance of wearing such equipment.
Things to consider when thinking about PPE
- As a workplace, it is your responsibility to provide PPE for all your employees free of charge.
- Always choose CE marked equipment in agreement with the Personal Protective Equipment Regulation 2002.
- Use safety signs around your workplace to encourage and remind your employees that they should be wearing it. It may be worth executing an investigation if you find PPE isn’t being worn
Other ways to improve safety in the workplace
Alongside PPE, it is important to review any other safety measures that could be implemented in your workplace. We already mentioned training procedures are necessary, however you will also need to ensure your employees have the correct tools for the job that they are performing.
For anyone who works with electrics, insulated tools are the best solution to keeping shocks to a minimum. It is important as either an employer or employee to ensure you are armed with the correct equipment. We at Boddingtons Electrical are a leading supplier and provider of insulated tools and other safety equipment, for more information contact us today and we will be happy to help.